Tuesday, August 28, 2007

r u up 2 the challenge? lol brb g2g!

The cell phone is off.

After thinking back to my glorious six days at camp without that wretched, clingy GPS tracking device sitting in my lap, I decided to see if I could go a whole week without my dad gum cell phone. When I made this news public yesterday, by way of a mass text message, the responses I got were both encouraging ("That is so great!" and "I'm so proud of you!") and...less encouraging ("You are an idiot." and "That's the gayest thing I've ever heard!" followed by an only slightly different "You're the gayest person I've ever known!".

Here's the point: think of the innumerable distractions that a cell phone causes! When your phone rings to alert you of an incoming call or text, you are inevitably ripped away from whatever it is your doing, whether its a good convo with the parents, a nice episode of Man vs. Wild, a quiet moment with you and God underneath his gorgeous dome of stars...you get the point.

But I don't let it be a distraction! you say. So you multi-task as you barrel down 65, using the steer-with-the-knee technique flawlessly as you type out "Ur gr8! Lol r u goin 2nite?" I've gotta go now...but anyone who'd like to join me in this challenge, let's go. Turn 'em cell phones off and get out and have a real conversation!

No comments: